Dataflow model of computation
- An instruction is enabled (i.e. executable) if all operands are available.
- Notice, that in von Neumann model, an instruction is enabled if it is pointed to by PC.
The computational rule or firing rule, specifies when an enabled instruction is actually executed.
Basic instruction firing rule:
- An instruction is fired (i.e. executed) when it becomes enabled.
- The effect of firing an instruction is the consumption of its input data (operands) and generation of output data (results).
- Where are the structural hazards? Answer: ignored!!