Advantages and deficiencies of dynamic dataflow
Major advantage: better performance (compared with static) because it allows multiple tokens on each arc thereby unfolding more parallelism.
- efficient implementation of the matching unit that collects tokens with matching tags.
- Associative memory would be ideal.
- Unfortunately, it is not cost-effective since the amount of memory needed to store tokens waiting for a match tends to be very large.
- All existing machines use some form of hashing techniques.
- bad single thread performance (when not enough workload is present)
- dyadic instructions lead to pipeline bubbles when first operand tokens arrive
- no instruction locality ? no use of registers