Monsoon, an explicit token store machine
Each PE is using an eight-stage pipeline
- instruction fetch --- precedes token matching (in contrast to dynamic dataflow processors with associative matching units)!
- token matching1 - effective address generation: explicit token address is computed from the frame address and operand offset
- token matching2 - presence bit operation: a presence bit is accessed to find out if the first operand of a dyadic operation has already arrived
- not arrived ? presence bit is set and the current token is stored into the frame slot of the frame memory
- arrived ? presence bit is reset and the operand can be retrieved from the slot of the frame memory in next stage
- token matching3 - frame operation stage: Operand storing or retrieving.
- Next three stages - execution stages in the course of which the next tag is also computed concurrently.
- Eighth stage - form-token: forms one or two new tokens that are sent to the network, stored in a user token queue, a system token queue, or directly recirculated to the instruction fetch stage of the pipeline.