Application and economy-related trends
- generally: user interactions like video, audio, voice recognition, speech processing, and 3D graphics.
- large data sets and huge databases,
- large data mining applications,
- transaction processing,
- huge EDA applications like CAD/CAM software,
- virtual reality computer games,
- signal processing and real-time control.
Colwell from Intel: the real threat for processor designers is shipping 30 million CPUs only to discover they are imperfect and cause a recall.
Economies of scale:
- Fabrication plants now cost about $2 billion, a factor of ten more than a decade ago. Manufacturers can only sustain such development costs if larger markets with greater economies of scale emerge. ? Workloads will concentrate on human computer interface. ? Multimedia workloads will grow and influence architectures.