PIM or intelligent RAM (IRAM) - Advantages
The processor-DRAM gap in access speed increases in future. PIM provides higher bandwidth and lower latency for (on-chip-)memory accesses.
- On-chip memory can support high bandwidth and low latency by using a wide interface and eliminating the delay of pads and buses, that arises with off-chip memory access.
- Due to memory integration, PIM needs less off-chip traffic that conventional microprocessors.
DRAM can accommodate 30 to 50 times more data than the same chip area devoted to caches.
- On-chip memory may be treated as main memory - in contrast to a cache which is just a redundant memory copy.
- In many cases the entire application will fit in the on-chip storage.
- Having the entire memory on the chip allows for processor designs that demand fast memory systems.
PIM decreases energy consumption in the memory system due to the reduction of off-chip accesses.